Response to Geeks Bearing Gifts
The two main writing techniques I see here are the organization of the paragraphs and the suspense of the “conclusion” paragraphs. The organizing of the paragraphs I thought was cool – he had a paragraph of her going out into the public, and then a paragraph with her sitting down with her boyfriend telling him how it went. That was kind of like a paragraph where the information was stated, and then a paragraph where it was concluded. Basically it was “information”, then “conclusion”. But it occurred almost every two paragraphs, and therefore gave the essay a unique kind of flow; a very confident flow where the reader always understands what just happened. This would help my writing a lot, because I know I tend to ramble on sometimes and give my writing a somewhat messy flow.
But at the end of each one of these “conclusion” paragraphs, there was a sentence that led you to look forward to the next time she went out in the public – which leads me to the second technique. In these sentences, the author gives you a feeling of suspense for what’s going to happen; the result of this is that when the essay finally ends, you’re left wondering what happens, or what will happen. It’s always good to make your readers want more, it shows you know what you’re doing as a writer. My short stories could always use more suspense, perhaps this technique could be used to achieve it.
No comments:
Post a Comment