Romeo and Juliet.
I have to say, I’m looking forward to reading this, because I’ve heard ‘so much’
about it. Everyone seems to know it and talk about it, and some people even
call it the ‘greatest love story of all time’, to which I highly disagree with
(I’ve read some pretty good love stories). The first thing I notice about the
plot is that they’re all so young! Juliet is still thirteen, and Romeo isn’t
much older. And apparently, kids younger than Juliet are “made happy mothers”
WHAT? Society has seemingly changed quite a bit since this day and age. The
second thing I’m wondering; why are the Monatagues and Capulets fighting? Did
something happen years before, or has anger just dialed up and up over the
years? It seems like it wouldn’t be hard to make peace, as Mr. Capulet seemed
willing enough to allow Romeo to stay at his party. Mr. Monatague, if I were
him, at least would’ve been tired of the fighting and wanted peace. I couldn’t
know without knowing the reason of their quarrel, which Shakespeare has not
given so far. I also wonder, after Romeo and Juliet both die, do you think the
parents will realize their evil ways? I can’t wait to find out. The characters
seem fairly well laid out; the two that stick out to me so far are Romeo and
Tybalt. If Tybalt is younger than Mr. Capulet, why is he so mad at the Monatagues
when even Mr. Capulet doesn’t seem to care that much? He’s so fiery, though I
doubt he was actually there when whatever happened between the two families
actually happened. How could someone be brought up with that kind of hate? And Romeo,
the heartbroken ‘man’. First, he’s my age, far from a man. Second, I can
definitely relate to his heartbrokenness at first; but I laugh when he sees
Juliet, a new girl, and immediately falls in love. Oh yeah, forget about the
other girl. He gives a whole speech praising Juliet, when just a second ago he
was weeping over some other girl! This shows Romeo isn’t feeling love. It’s a
childish crush, and it’s far from manhood love. I find his character pretty funny.
Finally, the writing style. I’m pretty sure this writing style is the closest
thing possible to using another language without actually changing the English
language so much that it’s impossible to understand. I at first found it very
hard to read, but now I’m getting used to it. However, it’s definitely far from
easy. The worst thing to get used to is the backwards sentences with the fancy
words – instead of just saying, “we’re going to be late,” they say something
like, “now and thou hast lateness cast upon us.” Altogether, Romeo and Juliet is
pretty good so far, and I’m excited to continue!
No comments:
Post a Comment