Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Catcher in the Rye Week 1


     What does it mean to be unique? Uniqueness in Holden’s eyes is pretty strange. His conversation with the mother on the train kind of opened it up, where he would said that her son was a unique kid, he had one of those personalities that you had to get to know (the kind of guy that snaps towels at people in the hallway, which isn’t normal). He also talks about girls and makes each one unique – he said Jane was unique because she did strange things, such as putting her hand on the back of his neck. So possibly uniqueness in his eyes is just doing things that aren’t normal?
     Individuality is shown quite a bit in Holden’s character. He keeps talking about how everyone’s a phony, and even though he doesn’t exactly define what he means, he’s saying they don’t really mean anything they say or do. A person with individuality is someone who isn’t a phony, in his eyes.
     I really have no favorite person; I mean, I have some good friends but no favorite person. I guess Allie is nice, smart, and cool to hang around. Those character traits are definitely things I’d find in any of my best friends.
     If I had the choice to go anywhere; I’d probably head up to Sault Ste. Marie. Up there is a very peaceful place for me, I’d be able to get my mind off things. A couple of my good friends live up there, so I could easily hang around and just lose the stress for a few days. A place I’d probably go by while I was there is Mission Point, I’d sit up there for hours thinking about life if I had the chance. It’s an amazing place.
     Jane is the classic best girl-friend. She’s not one of those girls that obsesses over makeup, and catchphrases, and boys, but the kind of girl that’s just cool. She’s the classy girl, modest, yet pretty. Holden is one of her best friends, even though they haven’t talked in a while. He feels protective of his roommate (who sounds like the classic jerk to girls in general) going on a date with her. Holden doesn’t like that at all, and he can’t believe it happened. He got so mad to the point where he threw a punch at his roommate. He talks about her in his memories like she was someone that meant a lot to him, someone he knew real well. Jane is the kind of girlfriend you’ll remember; some of the others you might forget, but not this girl.
     “People are always ruining things for you.” This is true, although no one really means it. I mean, it’s like getting stuck in the rain when you’re out on a walk. The rain makes you miserable, but it’s not the rain’s fault you were out on a walk. The rain didn’t mean to make you miserable, it just happened. People sometimes can ruin things for you; sometimes you might get put groups in class and you don’t like the people in your group. Sometimes, your mom can make plans for you that you really don’t want to attend: but you go out of respect. Sometimes, your friends say things about you that they believe you won’t care about, such as, “Oh yeah, Jack was hanging around with (such and such) last week.” It seems like no big deal, but maybe you didn’t want that person to know you know those other people; for whatever reason. Sometimes it rolls like that, but no one really means anything hurtful by it.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment