Huckleberries
were used in ‘The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail’ as symbolism to the classroom’s
ideas. It was put something like, “We’re searching for ideas the way you search
for huckleberries in the forest.” I was altogether surprised at all the
symbolism and wise notes in the text, especially this one. If these quotes are
anywhere close to accurate, Henry Thoreau was a very wise man at a very young
age. He understood the world completely in his own words, he refused to let the ideas of others come in the way. I
really liked his quickness to responding to the simplest of things with a wise
answer, and the huckleberry part was no exception. The principal comes in and
asks what the class is doing. Most teachers would try to answer something along
the lines of, “Discussing the text,” or “Responding to what we read,” or
anything simple and unsuspicious like that. Something that doesn’t get them in
trouble. But Mr. Thoreau answers, “We’re huckleberrying, sir.” Searching for
ideas like people search for huckleberries in the forest. Maybe it was just me,
but I couldn’t help but think when I read that; “So is the whole world
huckleberrying?” Everyone is searching for something. Whether it be peace, or
happiness, or something else; everyone is constantly searching, or
‘Huckleberrying’ for what they want. It’s a piece of symbolism that could
relate to the whole world, couldn’t it?
No comments:
Post a Comment