Final
Thoughts on the Odyssey
I really enjoyed
reading the Odyssey. It had many advantages and disadvantages. I think the one
fatal flaw of the story is it just drags itself out. Every character and even
object has to have a backstory, and not just a simple think such as “These
arrows were from a god” but it would drag the story of how that god gave the
arrows to whoever had them on and on for some two pages. In the end, the many backstories like that did
not help the story at all; it only made the whole thing drag along. Besides
this, however, the rest of the story was good. It was for sure a very
interesting book. The storyline was great, and it was interesting how the
timeline was set out. I always laughed at how fancy they talked, but I guess it
was a different culture back then. Ulysses was very smart, and wise; but he
seemed a little full of himself for a lot of the story. That may have been his
downfall. The gods were very interesting too, they were almost like a higher
class of humans. They fought over each other and were wrong just as many humans
do. They controlled humans almost like pets, only very smart pets. If they were
angry with a pet, they’d punish it. Just like in real life. Overall, I think it
was a very interesting story, but could have been much better if it hadn’t
dragged out so long.
I agree with you. The Odyssey really drags itself. The people in The Odyssey tell their life stories and ask a bunch of questions creating many back-stories. When I think of someone telling the story by mouth, I imagine it like a rant. Maybe if you read the myths separate to the story and the story by itself, the story would be faster and clearer?
ReplyDelete